7 Must-know Options For A Recent Australian Graduate

Are you one of those International students who has just finished studying in Australia and waiting to attend your graduation ceremony?

Meanwhile, you must also be pondering “What are my options after graduation in Australia”. 

Well, you are not alone!!

Many from the international student community start to explore possibilities to stay in Australia once they have finished graduation.

In this blog post, we are going to cover all the options to extend your stay in Australia.

But before that, irrespective you choose any of them, make sure to keep adequate overseas health insurance whether OSHC (overseas student health cover) or OVHC (overseas visitor health cover).

For easy understanding, we have made a list of the options available to international students post their graduation.

A List of What You Can Do Once You Have Finished Your Studies.

1) Continue Studying in Australia

2) Travel Australia

3) Apply for a Working Holiday visa

4) Complete a Professional Year

5) Permanently migrate to Australia

6) Find a job overseas

7) Return to your home country

Without waiting for further ado, let us begin with the, “7 Must-know Options For A Recent Australian Graduate”.

Continue Studying in Australia

You may want to consider this option by undertaking a Master’s or a Ph.D. in your field of study or even taking up a completely new discipline as per your interest. However, since this will require you to be again on a student visa, all of the student visa conditions apply.

Such as, extending or securing a new OSHC for Australia before you apply for the visa. Also, your course has to be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Travel Australia 

Many students decide to take a break after their graduation in Australia before either returning to their home country or going for a full-time job.

If you feel like you have had enough and decide to explore and travel around Australia, you may apply for Visitor Visa Subclass 600.

You can easily apply online for this visa whilst you are in Australia and the same will be valid for up to 12 months. Again, you’ll need to be insured with OVHC (Overseas Visitor Health Cover).

Apply For a Working Holiday Visa

Department of Home Affairs (DHA) allows people aged between 18 and 30 from eligible countries to apply for a Working Holiday Visa or a Work and Holiday Visa. 

Either of the visa categories mentioned-above, allows you to work and travel in Australia for up to 12 months.

This is also one of the most sought-ought options available to international students willing to stay back in Australia upon completing their graduation. You will need to plan to apply either for working holiday visa subclass 417 or work and holiday visa subclass 462.

Complete a Professional Year

This is best applicable when a student wants to gain study & work experience simultaneously.

Students who have had their graduation finished in either the engineering, accounting, or computer science field may take up a Professional Year program. The duration of the program is of 12 months wherein, the program is amalgamated with study & hands-on experience to gain industry-specific skills.

It is a top-notch choice among students to opt when they are planning to qualify for permanent residency as it also fetches you an additional 5 points in the skilled migrant visa point test.

Permanently Migrate to Australia

Due to the favorable & guided migration program, many international students are interested in applying for permanent residency and becoming Australian citizens.

To be eligible for the skilled migration program, your study should be on the nominated skilled occupation list. You can show interest in permanent residency through the Skillselect migration program. You may apply through a Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189), Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186), or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme. 

In either of the case, it is a prominent matter to look after the status of your student or visitor health insurance.

Find a Job Overseas

Degrees attained from Australian universities or institutions are recognized worldwide. In case, if you are looking to migrate outside Australia and work, the college network along with the alumni community can help you build connections with employers overseas.

Return To Your Home Country

If you do not wish to pick any of the options mentioned above to study, work, or travel in Australia after you complete graduation, then the only option is to return to your home country.

Well, you might have to wind up starting from electricity bills, rent, bank accounts, etc., however, many international students have also got their fair share of success upon returning home.

Health Insurance in Australia - Students & Overseas Visitors

Students must maintain OSHC for Australia whereas, working professionals and visitors should keep adequate OVHC for Australia.

These health covers are put in place by the insurance providers as per the government-approved guidelines. There are many but to name a few insurance providers Ahm OSHC, Allianz OSHC, BUPA OSHC, OSHC Nib, OSHC Medibank, Australian Unity OVHC, Allianz Care Australia OVHC, etc.

Wrap Up:

KONPARE is not only just an online health insurance comparison tool but also helps you as a sales & marketing automation tool. You can request a quick demo session to know & experience the KONPARE portal.

KONPARE helps your business by being at the top end of the sales funnel. It also ensures the seamless flowing of your prospects in each stage instead of shoving or pushing them down while focusing on generating extra revenue by commission.